About

Mission Statement

We the members and families of Saint Mark the Evangelist, a Roman Catholic Church in the Diocese of Birmingham in Alabama, are a Eucharistic community rooted in the Word of God responding to God’s call by:

  • Glorifying God by proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ by word and deed in our daily lives,
  • Serving one another within and outside the Parish community especially those needing an advocate,
  • Forming the community spiritually through worship, prayer, and education at all stages of life,
  • Including all, omitting none, with Christ-like love and understanding,
    Being good stewards of the gifts given to us and seeking to use them wisely, to live as the body of Christ with Mary, the Mother of God, as our model on our journey of faith.

The Saint Mark the Evangelist Strategic Plan can be viewed here.

Facilities

Church Building

The Church was built in the form of a cross (cruciform) and designed to seat 1020 worshipers. The stained glass windows in the ceiling, as well as the crucifix, statues of Mary and Joseph were from the original Saint Mark’s.

The large stain glass windows along the sides of the Nave are believed to be 100 years old and are from the cathedral church in Crookston, Minnesota. The altar, ambo and lectionary are made from Italian marble. The carving on the main face of the altar is imported from Ireland from the convent of the Little Sisters of the Assumption.

Daily Prayer Chapel

The Blessed Sacrament is reserved in the Chapel on weekdays.

 This is the door of God … open the doors of justice.”  
With these words Pope Francis officially inaugurated the Year of Mercy.  We here at Saint Mark the Evangelist, in response, are opening our “door” to the Chapel earlier and closing it later. 

We invite you to come and spend some time in the presence of the Eucharistic Jesus in the tabernacle. 

  •      Every Day – 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM
  •      First Friday Exposition: 7:00 AM to 12:00 Noon 

Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament

After the 6:30 AM Mass on the first Friday of each month, the Holy Eucharist is exposed in the Chapel until noon.  Also, on Sunday from 9:15 am – 10:15 am. 

Parish Center

In response to the growing needs of the Parish, a new Parish Center was constructed. It was blessed and dedicated on November 17, 2019.

The two-level building includes space for Parish Offices, Social Hall, Kitchen, Adult Education, Children’s Liturgy, Nursery and Conference Rooms.

The new Parish Center mirrors the architecture of the Church, and the two buildings are linked together by an open Courtyard.

Saint Mark the Evangelist Parish Center Rental Event Agreement

Youth Center

On November 17, 2019, the former Parish Life Center and Social Hall was blessed and re-dedicated as the Youth Center. In addition to providing dedicated space for all Youth activities, it also provides classrooms for Parish School of Religion.

Columbarium

A Columbarium Garden has been created to provide a number of niches. This garden is located in the courtyard created by the southern Transept and the Nave of the Church.

For more information on the columbarium or to purchase a niche, click here

 

The faith and good stewardship laid the foundation upon which this Parish of Saint Mark the Evangelist continues to build…

History Of Saint Mark The Evangelist Church

The first Saint Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church in the Birmingham area was built in 1905 in the Thomas Station location near the area of Ensley, Alabama. Reverend John B. Canapa was the pastor of this church. As parishioners moved away from the area, the congregation declined, and Saint Mark was closed in 1997. The original building still remains and can be seen at 1010 16 th Avenue West, East Thomas, Alabama. Upon the closing of Saint Mark, the remaining parishioners were promised that a new Saint Mark would be built in Birmingham. Much of the interior was removed with plans to install it in the future church.

The new Saint Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church was announced to be built south and east of Birmingham, and on May 23, 1999, the Feast of Pentecost, Bishop David Foley with concelebrant Fathers Patrick Murphy, Brian Egan and Crescenzio DeFazio celebrated the first Mass in Greystone Elementary School with the members of this newly formed church. Father Patrick Murphy was appointed as first pastor.

Father Murphy organized a building committee to begin to consolidate design concepts for the new structure. The church was to be built in the form of a cross, known in architectural language as cruciform. The ceiling of the structure is 57 feet high, and the bell tower reaches 105 feet. It was designed to seat 1020 worshipers.

Father Murphy died on September 16, 2000, before the new church took its form.

Father Patrick Cullen was appointed pastor on December 8, 2000. He continued the construction to its completion, and he celebrated Saint Mark’s first Mass on August 10, 2003. Bishop Foley celebrated the formal Dedication and Blessing on September 16, 2003.

As of July 2006, Father Joseph Culotta was appointed pastor of Saint Mark the Evangelist Parish.

On July 1, 2011, Sister Theresa (Terry) Bretthauer, a Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity, joined Saint Mark as Pastoral Associate.

As of August 1, 2018, Sister Madeline Contorno, Benedictine Sister from Sacred Heart Monastery in Cullman, AL joined Saint Mark as Pastoral Associate

As of October 2020, Father Bob Sullivan was appointed pastor of Saint Mark the Evangelist Parish.

As of July 2023, Father Justin Ward was appointed pastor of Saint Mark the Evangelist Parish.